BAE Systems Maritime
- Structural Surveys
BAE Systems Maritime – Ship Fabrication Building – Substantiation & Strengthening Following Demolition of Adjacent Structures
The project involved the demolition of a series of existing structures at the Barrow Shipyard site in support of the forthcoming Successor Submarine Manufacturing Project.
SWA was appointed to undertake substantiation and strengthening of the retained 1900 building structure and foundations following demolition of adjacent structures. SWA’s scope also included the design of cladding proposals and access door to the newly exposed elevations and the provision of drainage proposals for the retained building and for the newly demolished area.
• MOD Defence & Nuclear Licensed Site.
• Historical industrial steelwork building & foundations.
Substantiation of high column foundation soil pressures
- Full Revit model with strengthening and cladding proposals.
- Drainage proposals, including drawings, specifications and recommendations for re-routing/demolition.
- Full civil & structural design specifications.
- Engineering support for accelerated demolition prior to proposed strengthening, including reduction of loading for temporary conditions, limiting crane lift operations and installation of temporary propping and shielding scaffolding.
- Full design risk assessment and risk mitigation for the proposed demolition, including accelerated demolition (see above point).